As I venture into 2016 with my heavenly assignment of remembering, I'm hearing a bit of Fatherly advise.  Don't dwell on the hurts of the past.  Live in peace, joy and gratitude today.  Do not fear tomorrow.

This year-long journey of remembrance is to serve as my love letter to God, my family, and acquaintances ~ both known and unknown ~ who God leads here to this blog.   An autobiography of God's faithfulness.  It is my purpose that you too are prompted to reflect and marinate upon your own life journey.   And give glory to God.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  ~ Ephesians 2:10

As I think back through my life journey so far, I try to remember the very first time God revealed His presence to me.

While I was actually too young to remember my first incident, my Mom shared the details with me as a young girl, when I was old enough to remember.  And I have never forgotten.

Mom said when I was 18 months old, I became sick with what they thought was a typical toddler flu bug.  My brother was just a newborn at the time, around 4 months old, and Mom was overwhelmed in her new-motherhood journey keeping up with dirty diapers, a nursing baby, and the care and clean up of a throwing-up toddler.

My flu bug worsened as the hours wore on.  I wouldn't eat or drink.  Mom tried everything but the nourishment went right through me like water to my diaper.  A trip to the doctor resulted in immediate hospitalization.

The doctors tried desperately to reverse the rapidly advancing virus.  Intravenous fluids and medicines they had started at once were not working.  Mom said my frail little body quickly declined to resemble a withered and wrinkly old woman under hospital care.  When they pinched the skin on my tiny little arm, the skin remained pinched up alerting them to the worsening dehydration and unresponsive treatment.

Mom and Dad were called aside.  The doctors told them my condition was very serious and they did not know what more to do.  They reluctantly informed my parents that, the week prior, two other babies had died in their care with the same symptoms.  An infant epidemic was feared.

At that point, all they could do was wait and pray.  All was being done that could humanly be done.  Mom and Dad were prepared by the doctors ~ they were unsure I would survive the next 24 hours.   It was in God's hands.

jesus holding child photo: Jesus holding child precious_his_sight.jpg
I imagine the child on His lap as me many, many years ago as He softly and lovingly whispered, "Oh, daughter, what wonderful plans I have for you."

"But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."  ~ Exodus 9:16

Thank you Lord.  I will never forget.  I will always remember Your faithfulness, Your power, Your love and give glory to You.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial Tribute to Granny

2016 ~ Remember

It's been a while ...